Judith R. Dickinson
About the Artist
Judith considers her love, passion, and ability to create and reproduce beauty to be a truly spiritual experience. She is thankful that God has entrusted this gift to her to use and to share with others.
Judith's earliest memories are of drawing - drawing everything in sight! She began painting in oils at 8 years of age under the tutelage of an artist who observed her talent and offered to teach her. Judith was accepted at Moore College of Art in Philadelphia but decided to pursue her degree in education. She has been fortunate to continue her art education through the years working under some top artists, most recently Anthony Ryder and Michael Shane Neal.
Judith has been painting professionally for more than 25 years. She has won many awards in shows, and has received many varied and honored commissions, including paintings of college presidents, corporate leaders, as well as paintings for private collections throughout the United States.
Judith was honored to have been selected to paint the official portrait of Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, as well as two large public art commissions for Adams County, Colorado.
Her work has included historical paintings, as well as large murals. Judith has also illustrated a children's book.
Judith’s extensive body of work includes a series of paintings of African widows and orphans (Judith and her husband have a non-profit to help orphans and widows in Uganda and Rwanda). Most recently, Judith has also been painting western paintings, depicting the character and strength of Native Americans and western people.
Judith owns and teaches at the Art Academy of Colorado (a thriving art school for children and adults).
The gift of art has been passed down in Judith's family. Her great-grandfather was a talented artist in England. He studied at the Royal Institution of Art, and later with one of the most famous portrait painters in England. His paintings still hang in the Royal Academy of Art in London. Judith's son is a painter and art professor in New York City, having received his master's degree in painting from Yale University.
Selected Public Commissions
- Colorado State Governor – Bill Ritter
- Federal Judge – Phillip Figa
- Adams County Gov. Center
- Keiser Permanente
- Primerica Corp.
- Philadelphia Biblical University
- America’s Keswick, Inc.
Recent Juried Shows, Awards, Recognitions
- Oil Painters of America National Show 2012
- Oil Painters of America Western Regional 2012
- Mountain Oyster Club Art Exhibition 2012
- WAOW Juried Art Show 2012
- Bosque Art Classic Exhibition 2012
- Salon International 2012. Selected in top 50
- Phippen Museum Western Art Show and Sale
- Allied Art Exhibition NYC 2011, 2012
- Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club Annual Exhibition 2012
- Connecticut Society of Portrait Artists 2012
- ANNC National Art Exhibition
- Denver Athletic Club Solo Show
- Glenwood Springs Fall Art Exhibit, 1st Place , & “Best Art of the West” award 2011
- Aar River Gallery Solo Show 2010, 2011
- Visual Art Center National Show 2012
- WAOW – juried in as Member 2011
- Abend Gallery 3 Artists Exhibition 2012
- Southwest Art Magazine Article June 2012
- Judith’s work has been featured three times on Denver Channel 9 News
Judith was selected by the Portrait Society of America as one of only eight women in the United States to participate in program of the Cecilia Beaux Forum, which is dedicated to advancing women in the arts. Judith was selected to work with top portrait painter, Michael Shane Neal, who is the mentee of Everett Raymond Kinstler, world-renowned master portrait artist.
- Abend Gallery, Denver, CO
- Adobe Western Art Gallery, Ft. Worth, TX
- Aar River Gallery, Westminster, CO
- Main Street Gallery, Brighton, CO
- Portrait Society of America
- Oil Painters of America
- Women Artists of the West
- Women in the Arts
- Cecilia Beaux Forum
- Adams County Visual Arts Commission
- Brighton Cultural Arts Commission
- Armory Cultural Arts Center
- The Artists of Brighton Association